Adapted from concept by Chef Brandon Hudson at Aussie Beef & Lamb's Chef Immersion in Philadelphia. Recipe has not been tested in our kitchens.
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 large chopped onions
6 cloves chopped garlic
4 pounds sliced cremini mushrooms
4-1/2 pounds Australian Lamb Shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Za'atar seasoning, divided
3 quarts paella rice
3 quarts water
3 quarts unsalted chicken stock
1 preserved lemon, quartered, thinly sliced
1. Heat oil in large rondeau on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until softened and most liquid is evaporated.
2. Add lamb and Aleppo pepper; cook 4-5 min. until meat is browned.
3. Add 1 tablespoon Za'atar and rice; cook 3-5 min. until combined.
4. Add remaining ingredients to pot; bring to a boil. Season to taste with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cook 20 min., stirring occasionally until rice is almost cooked through. Remove from heat, cover with lid; let stand 10 min. or until rice is done.
5. Sprinkle with remaining Za'atar before serving.