Miso and Sake Marinade:
- 2 ½ lb boneless Australian lamb shoulder
- 1 c soy sauce
- ½ c brown sugar
- ½ c sake
- ¼ c red miso
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
Roasted Root Vegetables (Yield 18 oz):
- 8 oz rutabaga, peeled and diced ¾ in
- 8 oz parsnips, diced ¾ in
- 8 oz carrots, diced ¾ in
- 8 oz red onions, diced ¾ in
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse ground black pepper
Charred Scallion and Miso Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-in pieces
- 3 oz butter
- ¾ c milk
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp chopped charred green onion (charred on grill)
- 2 tsp red miso
Sweet Soy Sauce (Yield 1 c):
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ c soy sauce
- ½ c mirin
- ¼ c packed brown sugar
Ginger-Scallion Sauce (Yield 1 c):
- ½ c minced fresh ginger
- ½ c minced green onion
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ c canola oil
For the Miso and Sake Marinade:
- Trim lamb of any fat and gristle. Cut it into two logs and tie with butcher twine to hold its shape. Place in a non-reactive container.
- Add all of the ingredients for the marinade to a bowl and mix to combine. Pour mixture over the lamb. Let marinate for 6 to 8 hours, refrigerated.
- Remove lamb from marinade and wipe off excess marinade. Place on a roasting pan and roast in a 375°F convection oven. Cook until desired doneness. Remove from oven and let rest.
For the Roasted Root Vegetables:
- Place all of the vegetables in a bowl and toss to evenly distribute with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread out on a sheet pan and cook in a 350°F convection oven for 20 minutes. Be sure to stir vegetables halfway through the cooking process. When done, remove from oven and hold hot.
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- Steam potatoes until cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a mixer. Add the butter, milk, and salt. Mix until creamy and all lumps are gone.
- Stir in the charred scallions and miso. Hold warm.
For the Sweet Soy Sauce:
- Mix the cornstarch and water together and set aside.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar to a pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken. Lower to a simmer and let cook for 30 seconds. Hold on side hot.
For the Ginger-Scallion Sauce:
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Hold cold in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place 4 oz of root vegetables to one side of the plate.
- Slice the lamb and lay 6 oz of lamb over the root vegetables.
- Place 4 oz of mashed potatoes on the other side of the plate.
- Drizzle the lamb with 1 ½ tsp sweet soy sauce and 1 tsp of ginger-scallion sauce.
- Garnish the top of the lamb with a pinch of julienned scallions.